Today we took our first train! I definitely think train travel is the way to go. It takes the best parts of plane travel (the option to stand up and walk around and the bathrooms) and mixes it with the best parts of bus or car travel (getting a chance to look out the windows and see interesting things and get off whenever you want). When we were leaving Paddington Station an announcement played over the loud speakers to inform travelers that any article left unattended or blocking isles will be destroyed. Not just discarded, but destroyed. Hah! It makes me picture railway employees destroying unattended items with axes and chainsaws. Ah, the differences that separate Americans from the Brits. My dad always says that we are cultures that are separated by a common language. I’ve come to realize that this is more than true. Brits have such an interesting way of putting things.
Today I visited Oxford home to – you guessed it – Oxford University. The streets were crowded and bustling – something I had not expected. We visited the Bodleian Library, C.S. Lewis’ home, grave site, and church and also Christ Church.
At the Bodleian Library, we were lucky to get an extended tour of the collection and see their automated book conveyor. That was cool. The building itself was gorgeous.
Christ Church was yet another beautiful cathedral. I will never tire of cathedral, mosques, temples, and churches. They are often the most amazing, detailed, loved and well preserved structures in the world.
During our free time, Michele and I visited the farmer’s market and antique fair which was really fun. We sampled some local baked goods (as usual) and I picked up a vase that I’m in love with. Now, if it can just make it back to the US intact...
Today our photography focus was on signs. On that note I wanted to share this photo I took yesterday at St. Paul's Cathedral. That's right, St. Paul's won the prestigious Loo of the Year Award back in 1995. Apparently, they beat all of the other National Heritage sites for the best bathroom. Wow! It seems that they are so proud of their win they are are still posting their certificate some 14 years later. Impressive. :)
This was taken in C.S. Lewis' garden. She's exploring the path a little just like me.
I am exhausted today and looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow. I think this week gave us all a run for our money. It's been so hot!! Looking forward to cooler weather and maybe a little downtime this weekend. We have plans to visit the Tower of London tomorrow.
Look at me I'm 30.
No comments:
Post a Comment