Sunday, July 5, 2009

Best Loo In Town


Saturday July 4

I will never tire of the Tube! London's subway system is the best, most efficient and interesting method of city travel. It's so interesting to people watch and look at all the signs. You get this glorious breeze from the tunnels and it feel so good. London is a very walkable city but sometimes its nice to get on a train and "have a sit" as the Brits say. There are street musicians in almost every stop playing almost every kind of instrument you can think of from guitar, to sax, to keyboard, even the harp. Today we came across someone playing one of my favorite George Michael songs called "Careless Whisper" on the clarinet. I gave him a few pence because he was so good.

Chihuly Sculpture

On Saturday, we visited the Victoria & Albert Museum and had a lovely lunch in their cafeteria. Again, the collection was beautiful and overwhelming. They had a fashion exhibit that was amazing and a Dale Chihuly sculpture in the lobby that was incredible. They also had a portion of the museum that was dedication to replicas of famous monuments and statues. They had Michelangelo's David and Trajan's Column to name a few. Of course, you think replicas no big deal but then you find out that most of these replicas were made at the tail end of the 1800's and are still older than most of the "old" things in the states. They also had a jewelry vault that was insane! Huge elaborate rings, tiaras, broaches, necklaces, and even swords with stones as big a grapes or larger. They also had some mourning jewelry that was really cool.

There is a courtyard in the center of the museum with a little cafe and a wading pool for the kiddies. These two little boys were having a ball. There was also a sign that asked you to please refrain from removing your clothes while visiting. Hah!


Lunch was so nice. The cafeteria is situated in a beautiful room with tilework and palms. It kind of looks like a solarium from a mansion. They had a pianist and he played the entire time we ate. He even played one of my favorite songs "Strangers in the night". The food was great and they had free tap water that we just couldn't get enough of. We girls are getting easy to please.

Joanna, Megan, and Michele enjoying a fancy meal at the V&A

We hit the bathroom on the way out. It was unisex which was odd but then we discovered that each stall had its own vanity area. It was so clean and nice it looked like a beautiful hotel. I know its strange to be to excited by a bathroom but I have got to tell you that most bathrooms here are tiny, dark little spaces with barely enough room to turn around let alone freshen up. This place was like an oasis. It also had some tile work on the walls that said "V&A" on it and had a crown pattern. We took about 15 pictures in front of it. The V&A is a must see if ever you are in London.

Tower of London

Later we visited the Tower of London. I think I had spent too much time in the land of Disney and renaissance fairs because I had a really hard time looking at this place as a real historical landmark. They have done such a great job preserving it and figuring out the best way to funnel tourists through it that it doesn't quite look real. The torture aspect of it was a little over the top but it was really cool to think about the fact that we were standing in the place were royals and criminals have stood before. We took a look at the crown jewels which were beautiful but not quite as elaborat as the jewelry exhibit at the V&A. The best part was the Henry VIII exhibit. It contained a lot of the suits of armor he had made during his reign. It's hard to believe that these things are still around. Since they were made precisely for the king we are able to get a very good idea of the man's stature at different points in his life. They even had a couple of suits of armor that were made for children.



Etchings made by prisoners held in the Tower of London

We left the Tower and walked across the Tower Bridge headed for The London Dungeon. The Dungeon turned out to be more hokey and less historical than we were hoping but they did talk a little about Jack the Ripper and the Black Plague which was cool.

Tower Bridge

Another beautiful day in London. As much as I am looking forward to Paris I am already sad about leaving the UK. I think its going to be tough not being able to read the signs or speak the language in France. Living without that language barrier has made London so accessible and fun. I know that Paris will be a different world -- daunting but very exciting.

I have also accumulated some new belongings and realized some of the things I've brought from the states are unnecessary. I really want to ship some stuff home but it is PRICEY. From what I've seen it will be at least 50 GBP to get this stuff shipped. I can't decide if I should ship some things or just throw it away. What to do?

3 comments:

  1. Jack the Ripper, the Black Plague, a Dungeon too!!! Why am I not there?! Massive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. last comment by Dave (yer bro)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave! Why aren't you here?!? You would have loved the Henry VIII exhibit. It was called Dressed to Kill. There were tons of weapons. Your fave! Miss you!

    Lex

    ReplyDelete