Thursday, July 9, 2009

I see London, I see France

Today is our last morning in London. I really feel like I’m not “done” with the UK. There are still tons of things I didn’t get a chance to do. Leaving is sad and exhilarating at the same time. Right now I’m sitting on the Eurostar to France. Can’t believe I’m here! In less than three hours I will be in Paris.

This morning we had to say our goodbyes to our flat and the labyrinth that is the study center. Gonna miss the hike up to the 4th floor after all. I had one more cup of english breakfast tea with milk and sugar and then headed to the British Library.

I didn’t have time to see the general collection at all because I wanted to focus on the exhibits. The British library houses a rare book collection that is incredible. It was amazing to see original handwritten manuscripts by Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre manuscript!!), Sylvia Plath, Shakespeare, Da Vinci, Oscar Wilde. It just went on and on. They also had a Gutenburg Bible and the Codex Sinaiticus written in the 4th century. I was blown away by the entire collection but when I was younger Austen, Bronte and Plath all had a significant impact on my life so they were my favorites. How incredible to see these treasures.

They also had a stamp exhibit that was interesting. I spent a while browsing the Polish stamps. Very cool. In the center of the library the King’s Collection is housed in a three story transparent glass tower.

We took the tube back to our corner of town and got off at Leicester Square to have one last walk through the West End. Then got our bags and headed to St. Pancras. We are well on our way now under the English Channel. Just imagine the millions of gallons of ocean above us right now.

Paris here I come!

Ok so I just arrived in Paris. No kidding, I have been here about 20 minutes and I have already had a somewhat crazy experience.

Well, we were all lugging our stuff from the train station on the metro. We finally reached our stop and headed to the exit. I was leading the pack and at the top of the stairs I noticed a guy lighting a cigarette. I thought to myself – I don't think you're allowed to smoke in here. Then I looked over and noticed a no smoking sign and thought – what a jerk. Can’t anyone follow simple directions anymore? Then I noticed it was the biggest cigarette I have ever seen and thought – wow that must be some kind of crazy French roll your own cigarette. Then I smelled it and realized it was pot! He was just standing there with 20 American tourists swarming around him with 5000 bags smoking the biggest doobie I have ever seen! As I was waiting for the rest of the group to make it up the stairs another French guy noticed the guy smoking. The rest of their interaction I gleaned from body language and context clues because it was all in French (of which I don’t speak a friggin word). Here’s how it went:

French guy: Hey is that marijuana?

Guy with giant doobie: (shrugging shoulders) yep

French guy: Can I have some?

Guy with giant doobie: yeah sure. (hands over the doob)

French guy: thanks man that’s really nice of you. Can my girl have some, too?

Guy with giant doobie: sure have as much as you want. Take another drag.

French guy and girlfriend: Thanks man.

OK so I was just standing on the stairs watching these three people smoke pot in public. IN FRENCH. Amazing! What a crazy introduction to this country. We just checked into our rooms which are European size (i.e. - tiny) yet comfortable and functional. Michele and I are rooming together again. Yeah!

Here’s the best news yet: we have a full size shower!! I will finally be able to bend over to pick up a dropped shampoo bottle without having to open the shower door. I’m excited. Also, they have an elevator in the bldg which is wonderful.

Off to see the Eiffel Tower in about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment