Friday, June 26, 2009

I have arrived!


Here I am in jolly ol' London! My flatmates and I went exploring and discovered that both the British Museum and the National Gallery are only a few minutes walk away. I'm amazed how central our flats are to the major sightseeing destinations of beautiful London. We even stumbled upon an amazing view of Big Ben across Trafalgar Square! After walking around for awhile we found a great traditional English Pub, called The Tottingham, and sat down to a wonderful English meal. Most everyone had the fish and chips, but anyone who knows me knows that I skipped over that on the menu. I opted for the steak and stout pie and it was great! The portions were huge. I got to try "mushy peas" which were delicious. Sort of like a thick version of split pea soup (one of my faves stateside). Best of all the things we tried was the traditional English drink called Pimm's. It's a gin-based liquor that's mixed with lemonade (which tastes more like sprite than lemonade) and has strawberries and cucumbers in it. I have seen the light! We are all planning to have Pimm's at least once a day while we're here.



I'm sharing my two bedroom/two bathroom flat with 3 roommates (Michele, Merle, and Meagan - I'm already calling them the 3M's). Here is a picture of Michele and I's room. Of course this picture was taken before we destroyed it by spreading our belongings and gadgets all over every surface we could, including the extra bed. We don't have air conditioning (as is common in most of Europe) but the weather has been so beautiful we haven't needed it. It's been gorgeous so far. 75 degrees and blue skies. A far cry from the sweltering heat of Florida to be sure.



The light here is really different from Florida is making for some amazing pictures. Looking forward to discover more of this interesting city.

No comments:

Post a Comment