Well, I have arrived! My apartment is very Italian and adorable but not very photogenic. I'm on the top floor and it's quite a climb but the view of Santa Croce from my bedroom window makes it totally worth it! I've never had a little apartment to myself before (let alone one in Europe) and this one is everything I've ever wanted. Check out my door!
Last night at 9:30, after a hectic day at work attempting to get my bearings before the students arrived, I treated my self to a 2 euro gelato and a stroll around Piazza Santa Croce. It was definitely a "this is one of the best moments of my life" experiences. Santa Croce is literally about 10 steps from my front door and it is always populated by tourists, but at night a lot of Italians come out to have a stroll, too. I feel so lucky to live in this area. The presence of tourists may mean higher prices in some cases but it also means extended hours, lots of people around, and tons of cute restaurants and bars.
I'm really liking everyone here and getting acquainted with the city is an adventure. My credit card has already been declined twice (both times I was told so in Italian - so I had no idea what they were saying). I've fixed it for now. The language barrier is getting more cumbersome by the day. Hopefully, I will be able to sit in on Italian classes this semester if I can get the student assistants' schedules figured out. I want to learn how to speak or at least understand Italian NOW! I really wish I had pursued it more while I was still in the states.
Overall, I'm settling into my job and my new city very nicely except for the vomiting and jet lag.
My library is lovely. Really excited to get to know the collection and the daily ins and outs of the place. Here is a picture of the 10,000 keys I have to open all the doors at my apt and the library. So cool ... and this is just the beginning!
you are living in an italian apartment, running a tiny library and sitting next to the santa croce. in italy. it's hard to wrap my head around. thinking of you-kree kree
ReplyDeleteWow! Lexie that is so awesome! You live in Italy... live there! I hope you have an amazingly fantastic time and have the experience of a lifetime. Can't wait to read more.
ReplyDeleteThose skeleton keys are sweet- hope you got a big purse though.
ReplyDeleteDave
I love you Alexis. You will do great. Everything looks awesome. Can't wait to see you :)
ReplyDeleteLedia